Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 4 - Church at BYU Jerusalem

I love church.  But I have NEVER been so excited to attend church in my whole life as I was for today.  I didn't take pictures of the BYU Jerusalem Center today, but I hope to take the official tour this week and take photos then. 

I took the opportunity to bear my testimony in Relief Society, and they asked if I would say the closing prayer.  Of course I was thrilled!  I said, "I'll do anything you want.  I'm so thrilled to be here!"  I would have readily accepted if they asked if I would wing it and teach the lesson today!

The Gospel Doctrine lesson was taught my Daniel Rona's daughter-in-law, a gal from Germany, whose first children are 8-month old twins. She taught the lesson I taught last week, about the talking donkey and Balak and Ballam.  It was fun to hear it from her perspective.

My sister lives in the ONLY branch in the whole world whose Relief Society president lives in Bethlehem.  Sahar is AMAZING. Being Palestinian, the only reason she is legally allowed to come into Jerusalem, is because after much prayer she was able to get a job at the US Consolate in Jerusalem, so her legal papers allow her to come now.  Her Palestinian friends in Jerusalem aren't allowed to, so each Sunday, she holds a one-hour church service and she teaches the lesson for a few Mormons who can't cross into Jerusalem.  Wow.  She taught the lesson today and told stories of suffering that most of can't even relate to. What an incredible lady.  I have loved her for a long time because Amy has shared her stories with me, so it was a thrill to finally meet her.


No comments:

Post a Comment