Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 2 - Vendors in Jerusalem's Old City

We entered Damascas Gate of the Old City, which Amy said is the most impressive gate.  It's also just a 5 minute bus ride from their home, next to the Garden Tomb. 

Just before we entered the gate, we passed this bakery vendor, selling their version of huge soft pretzels, covered in sesame seeds.  These are sold all over the place.

I had no idea that virtually all we saw on the roads (stone walkways) inside the Old City was vendor after vendor. 


A sweets shop.

This was funny.  The young man is letting his cart roll down the ramps while riding one foot on the "break" which was a flat tire.  Saw it several different times.  Creative. Resourceful.  No room for motor vehicles, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

A Palestinian girley Smith n' Edwards.  You want it, we got it.  Sunglasses, jewelry, decorative tiles, purses, flip flops.

This truck drove right past me within what seemed like inches.  I looked up and saw a man sitting on top of this overgrown load.  You could say I felt a bit nervous.

The Arab women wear beautiful dark colored long dresses with long sleeves, usually with beautiful scarves covering their faces while in public.  They believe in dressing this modestly to help men avoid having tempting thoughts about women.



A cute moment.  This elderly Arab woman was carrying two heavy grocery bags and trying to get up several steps with a cane.  My mom sprang to the rescue, saying a few phrases in English like, "I help you," and  "Heavy!"  The cute woman took my mom's face in her hands and kissed her cheek in gratitude.  They didn't speak each others' language but as Mom said, "A kiss is universal."

I thought my kids would get a kick out of this.  Doesn't it make you hungry for Rodizio Grill Adam?

More meat for sale.  How about some fish Adam and Malia?

This is SO COOL!  By far the most beautiful smelling vendor in the whole place. All these bins are full of freshly dried herbs and spices.  I could have stooped over smelling them for hours.  Some of them reminded me of Middle Eastern recipes I've tried that most Americans have never tasted spices like these.  Look at the photo below of the bins behind the cashier.  Amazing.




Many greens are purchased this way.  Grape leaves are very popular.  We're trying to figure out how they eat them.

We could call this one the Pickle Booth.  Every food here is pickled.  The pink food close to the front is pickled cauliflower, dyed pink by the beets.

The man making my fresh squeezed orange juice.  A treat!

The nice Arab man who let me "help" make a t-shirt souvenir, for a good photo op.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! Thanks for doing this. I was itching to know how it was going.

    ReplyDelete